Wednesday 26 June 2013

Male circumcision could prevent HIV/AIDS infection




Dr. Augustino Hellar of Jhpiego conducting male circumcision


By Nasser Kigwangallah, recently in Dodoma
MALE circumcision has been proven to prevent female-to-male infection with the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV).
The theory that male circumcision may be protective against HIV infection was invented and developed first in North America and practiced in Africa.
This was revealed by Dr. Augustino Hellar, of Jhpiego in his paper presented at a two day conference of Tanzania Parliamentarians Aids Coalition (TAPAC) in Dodoma on Sunday last week.
According to Dr. Augustino Hellar, removing the foreskin can prevent HIV infection by at least half.
He said those who advocate of male circumcision, have further promoted male circumcision as a way of fighting the pandemic.
“Countries that have been practicing male circumcision have low rate of HIV/AIDS infection as compared to those countries that do not practice the norm,” he said.
He said numerous observational studies were carried out in Africa.
Circumcision advocates conducted randomized controlled trials (RCTs) in Africa.
Three RCTs to study the value of male circumcision in reducing HIV infection have been conducted in Africa.
The studies were intended to find out if circumcision is an effective intervention to prevent female-to-male HIV infection.
A RCT was carried out in Orange Farm, South Africa; a RCT was carried out in Kenya and a RCT was carried out in Uganda.
All three studies found that non-circumcised males contract HIV infection more quickly than circumcised males.
All three studies were terminated early, before the incidence of infection in circumcised males caught up with the incidence of infection in the non-circumcised males.
He said: “National strategy for scaling up male circumcisionfor HIV prevention started in Tanzania since 2009 by starting with Iringa, Mbeya and Kagera regions,” he added.
According to him, the strategy intended to be conducted in eight regions, now there are 12 regions conducting male circumcision namely;
Mara,Rukwa,Iringa,Tabora,Mbeya,Mwanza,Kagera and Shinyanga regions.
The World Health Organisation (WHO) recommended that male circumcision, if done properly could reduce HIV/AIDS infection by 60 per cent.
Circumcision by male is one strategy of fighting the spread of HIV/AIDS to a greater extent.
It is my hope that this initiative, if spread all over the country, could be way effective ways of reducing the spread of HIV/AIDS.
Circumcision practices are largely culturally determined and as a result there are strong beliefs and opinions surrounding its practice.
It is important to acknowledge that researchers' personal biases and the dominant circumcision practices of their respective countries may influence their interpretation of findings.
Circumcision does not prevent HIV infection, all together if the particular person does not adhere to norms and practices of abstinence and of being faithful to his wife or partner.
There are many methods of HIV transmission, including: mother-to-child infection, transfusion of tainted blood, infection with non sterile needles used in health care, infection by homosexual and heterosexual anal intercourse, infection by needle sharing to inject illegal drugs, traditional African scarring practices, tribal (ritual) circumcision, female circumcision, male-to-female heterosexual transmission, and female-to-male heterosexual transmission.
Male circumcision might only reduce infection by the last method, so the overall influence on the HIV epidemic in Africa, at best, would be likely to be slight, however, the risk of male-to-female transmission is much higher than that of female-to-male transmission, so a means of partial prevention that targets only the second means at the expense of the first would be counterproductive.
There is no indication that male circumcision would protect women.
Viral load is the chief predictor of the risk of HIV transmission.
……………………………………………………………………………………….

2 comments:

  1. I think you should have contacted me to make issues more clearer than what you wrote here..... some of the information you are giving is outright wrong and grossly misinterpreted. In future please ensure that you are using correct pictures. The man in the caption picture is not Dr Augustino Hellar and he is definitely not doing a circumcision in this particular picture

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very powerful I ve been diagnosed with HIV 3years ago and I've become in denial at first for a year but later I accepted it and I'm living with depression so I struggle to keep my cd4 up bit I'm very healthy and I just checked my cd4 was 460 and they advising me to being medication but I'm not ready I wanna take them when at least it 350 I'm only 24years old I have a 6year old healthy boy negative and I've been very stressed lately I slept with a guy a month ago without a condom I always protect my self but this time he took the condom out without me noticing I became so scared knowing my status and I can't live with my self knowing that I infected one another person I told him that he should take p.e.p anti virus he said no he is clean there is no need unless I know I'm not clean I was so scared not ready to tell him following day took me to his doctor for me to come he is clean he tested in front of me n I fogged my result sent him someone else's result with my name I regret it and I'm scared don't know how to tell him I'm scared can't live with my self knowing that I did what I did after protecting all the guys I've been with for so long it;s about a day for me to tell him that I HIV positive that i came across testimony of a lady been cured of HIV from Dr James herbal mix, for me been so desperate I picked up interest and contacted Dr James and told him my problems and he asked me some few questions and then said I should send him money some so he can send me his powerful herbal mixed medicine and I did,2 days later he courier the herbal mixed medicine to me through DHL speed post the medicine got to me in 5 days time and I used it morning and night as he prescribed for me for 3 weeks and I was cured, I couldn't believe it because it was like a magic to me
    then I was bold enough to meet the guy and told him that I had HIV but lucky am cured now, I recommended him to Dr James who cured him and he was cured too today we have been in a good relationship and we have 2years old son now and he is HIV negative Thanks to Dr James herbal mix if you are HIV positive and suffering from any kinda diseases contact Dr James

    Email drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com

    What's app +2348152855846

    ReplyDelete